22 January 2006

What's For Dinner?

Tonight I made a pretty damn good roast, if I do say so myself. My grandmother had me start her roast one day when she was wheelchair ridden. I combined this recipe, which originally was how her mother made roast, and the recipe on the back of Campbell's Onion Soup Mix. I'll share it with you further down on this post.

I also got to see an old friend, Rich's, cute little boy tonight. Andrew has grown a lot since the last time I'd seen him and he's got a pretty amazing personality. He's a pretty funny boy. It was really fun to see him, although he was a little freaked out that everybody was watching him so closely. I could tell Rich and Sarah are doing a pretty good job with him and it's easy to see he's been played with a lot.

Well, that's about as exciting as my weekend got, I'm sorry to say. Here's that recipe I promised; I hope it serves everyone well.

Nanny's Savory Pot Roast

3 1/2- to 4-lbs beef round or chuck pot roast
Sea Salt, to taste
Cracked Pepper, to taste
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 pouch Campbell's Dry Onion Soup and Recipe Mix
1 1/4 cups water
6 medium potatoes, quartered
6 carrots, cut into 2" pieces

1. In a 6-quart Dutch oven warm 2 tablespoons of oil. Cover all sides of roast with ground
pepper and sea salt to taste, then coat sides with about a 1/2 cup of the flour. Brown roast on
all sides in hot oil. Spoon of fat, if you like, to reduce calories.
2. In a medium-sized bowl stir together mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and one cup of water
until well combined. Pour mixture into Dutch oven and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 2
hours, stirring often if you can (I can't figure out how to stir a whole roast, but I'm a little
slow.) Add vegetables, cover, and cook 45 more minutes of until roast and vegetables are
fork-tender.
3. Remove roast and vegetables. Stir together remaining 2 tablespoons of flour and the
remaining 1/4 cup of water until smooth. Gradually stir into soup mixture. Cook until
mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Serves eight people.

1 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could tell when he headed into your room right before we left that the little guy was pretty taken with his Aunt Trill, Goddess of the Girl Scout Shortbread Cookie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home