05 February 2006

Mexico's Constitution Day, Mouse Hunting, Pastries, and Italian Food


I have a lot to cover. First off, today is a public holiday in Mexico. Dia de la Constitucion is today. Today commemorates the birth of the constitution of Mexico. I couldn't find any interesting things on its celebration, but oh well. One good way is to go to a new eatery on Metcalf called tienda Casa Paloma Mexican Market. We sampled it last night and it was pretty decent. I like Torreons close to Shawnee Mission West, my old alma mater. One of Rob's old classmates now runs it.

My cat finally did something useful Thursday night. She caught a mouse; I immediately jumped up on my bed. I eventually got down and got a box to scoop the still alive caught mouse into; my cat is evidently gentle when it comes to mouse catching and didn't want to let go of her new toy. I freed it but it probably just ended trotting right back into my house.

I finally made it to JCCC's pastry sale on Friday. It was well worth the short walk. I got a ginormous amount of pastries for seven dollars. I used to have to wear an outfit kind of close to theirs. My hat was a bit less ridiculous looking.

Tonight I'm cooking Italian food. Pasta Fazool is one of my favorites. I also cheated and made a box version of Boston Cream Pie. I choose to try to ignore the Super Bowl. I have my first Chemistry test Monday so I should probably go study.

Rob's Pasta Fazool (Pasta E Fagioli)

1 T. olive oil
1 stalk celery, chopped coarsely
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ lb dried Soldier beans or cannellini (available at Whole Foods)
1 bay leaf
1 t. dried basil
½ t. dried thyme
½ t. dried rosemary
2 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
14-ounce can tomatoes, drained (I prefer roma tomatoes)
1 rind (about ¼ pound) Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 oz very small cut tubular pasta, such as ditali (Barilla calls ditalini)
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, and chopped fresh basil for garnish

Cover cannellini with water and let soak at least 24 hours; dispose of any beans that float to the top, this is a sign that they have gone bad.

Place the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Add the celery, onion, and garlic; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, dried herbs, broth, water, tomatoes, and cheese rind. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Continue cooking, covered, stirring occasionally. This part of the preparation is finished when the beans are soft, about 1 to 2 hours (depending on the age of your beans).

When the beans are soft, remove cheese rind from the pot and add the pasta. Cook fazool for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the pasta is done. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve in wide bowls, garnishing each serving with a drizzle of olive oil, about a tablespoon of cheese, and about a teaspoon of fresh basil. This recipe serves four as a main course.

Note: This recipe is from the snobs at Dean and Deluca. I have never located ditali in Kansas City; mini elbow macaroni works well. Without soaking the beans; I’ve never been able to get them soft. I recommend doubling the recipe, cooking in a Dutch oven or stockpot, and adding garnishes way more liberally.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home